Monday, November 22, 2010

IT CAME! IT CAME!!!




Yes, it's true! My mission call finally came! It was a normal, Friday afternoon and my friend, Lowen dropped me off at home from work. I came home to find Morgan watching tv and Brooke asleep. Since my call was predicted to come the day before (which obviously did not come but I was glad b/c I feel like that day was specially reserved for baby Pierce), I decided to check the mail once again. I grabbed the keys from the garage wall and headed to the silver mailbox. As I struck the key in the lock, I was thinking that this HAD to be the day. Butterflies were swarming in my stomach as I opened the mailbox. THERE IT WAS!!! The long awaited big, white envelope! It was the first thing I grabbed (even though it was under all the other mail). "Sister Ashley Triskaideka Whitman" it read. Never before had my name looked so beautiful in print. (And my middle name was even spelled right!) Immediately, I bolted to the house with a handful of mail repeating "Oh My Gosh! Oh My Gosh! Oh My Gosh!" As I entered the house, I yelled out to Morgan, "Morgan! It's here! I got my mission call!!!" Then I bursted into tears. Morgan screaming, "Yaaaay! Yaaaaay!"

5 O'clock p.m.
Everybody on the phone (3-way is great!) Except for Mom who was working, and Travis who could not be reached. Then my friend Sol to my left and the carters in front of me and the Carlsons to my right. "Kay everyone!!!! I'm opening it!!!!!" I ripped the envelope and removed the papers. As I read aloud the introduction, my heart began to pump harder. Then I read, "...you are assigned to labor in the Boise, Idaho Mission." What??? Are you SERIOUS???? Boise, Idaho??? I feel like the dude on The Singles Ward.

About an hour after the initial shock.....
"WHOOOOO!!!! I'M GONNA SERVE A MISSION!!!! YEAH!!!" I don't care where I'm going anymore! All I care about is that the work and word of the Lord is just as important in Idaho as anywhere in the world. The people of Idaho need me. I am there for them. I love the church and I love where I'm going. I love the gospel and I am so grateful for the sacred Atonement of Jesus Christ.

I haven't been able to write 'till now b/c our internet was down


2 comments:

Crystal said...

We are so happy for you! Not only are we happy for you but we are extremly proud of the women you have become. I love watching come closser and closer to finding yourself because we know you have so much potential! You are amazing Ash! We LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Cherie said...

How wonderful! I'm excited for you Sister Whitman! The field is certainly white all over the earth and the people of Idaho will be blessed to have you. There's nothing more beautiful than a missionary with a burning testimony and love of the Lord. We love you!